Sunday, March 21, 2010

Steel cut oats...mmm

I've never been one to ask for oatmeal. Why? I don't know. But I sure was missing out. This morning my dad and I shared some steel cut oats. Steel cut oats are slightly chewier, and even though they do take a little longer than rolled oats, they sure are worth it. They are the inner portion of the oat, also called the whole grain groats. Thats fun to say...They are kind of nuttier and have more texture than rolled oats. Just boil water (1 cup) and then add 1/2 cup oatmeal, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes. (or less.) Almost done...


While all of this yummy oatmeal was cooking, my dad and I got into a debate about what currants were. It all started when I said, "Do you care if you have raisins or currants?" And he goes, "raisins!" I think I then replied with something like saying "They are both forms of dehydrated grapes." From there, he kept telling me they were "currants!" And that led me to look it up on google. Well, I win. Currants are dried, black seedless grapes. Ha ha.
I cut up some dates and dried apricots to sprinkle over mine, and my dad chose banana and walnuts, as well as raisins. (not currants.)We both had some maple syrup, and this breakfast is sure to happen again sometime!






No comments:

Post a Comment