Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day comes to an end

Memorial day weekend was filled with soccer, running, cooking, eating, and more soccer! We had a tournament which we won the first two games in on Saturday. They were both pretty close games, but our team pulled it off.
I came home Saturday night, slept like a ROCK, then went to another game at 7:30 AM!! I didn't quite wake up for a while... Unfortunatley, we lost that game by one, but it was close and we definetly should have beat them. Pout.
We had some friends come over to our lakehouse, and there was cooking involved! I made a carrot chickpea salad from Food and Wine Magazine, pesto over roasted veggies, and a dessert! My dad made shrimp scorpio, potaters, crabcakes, and salad. Dessert was Raspberry chocolate blondies from Vegan with a Vengeance! These were amazing and they were so doughy, maybe too doughy! I like desserts like that. But I served the guests them with a scoop of ice cream, raspberry sauce, and chocolate chips. It was a hit! I enjoyed mine like that, minus the ice cream. But the chocolate chips made up for it:)
Raspberry layer:
2 cups frozen raspberries
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1/3 cup sugar
Blondie layer:
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 6 0z container of soy yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup rice milk
1/2 cup plus 2 T canola oil
2 cups sugar
1 T vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350'F. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
For the raspberry layer, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
For the blondie layer, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl. In a large bowl, combine the soy yogurt, rice milk, oil, sugar, and vanilla. In batches, pour the dry ingredients into the wet to form a dough. Set aside 1 cup of the dough and spread the rest in the prepared baking pan. Spread the raspberry layer over it (or 1 cup raspberry preserves). Sprinkle 1/2 the chocolate chips over the raspberry layer. Drop the remaining dough over the chips and raspberries, sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips over that. Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Outta the oven:)
After today, filled with boating, swimming, tubing, and getting eaten alive by mosquitos at my cottage, we came home! I was huuungry by the time we came back, so I threw together something. The lil' bit of mochi in the fridge was dying to be used up so I made...

MOCHI WAFFLES!!

Yes, mochi waffles. It's a "recipe" in The Kind Diet, but all you have to do is put a chunk of mochi in a preheated waffle iron and BOOM. Top with brown rice syrup, walnuts, applesauce, jam, nut butter, you get the picture. (not all together!) I threw together a "sauce" made of homemade applesauce, maple syrup, water, and 1/2 tsp of almond butter. I threw some blackberries on too. The sauce was OK, I should have done something simpler. But it was still good!

I paired this with a mountain of carrot stix that my dad cut up for me, and some raw broccoli with sriracha chili sauce for dipping. Spiiicy!
Gotta finish a lil' bit of homework, and I really hope to be blogging more soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving me credit for cutting the carrots! :-)

    ReplyDelete