Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The granola that changed my life.


Forget everything I said about that peach cobbler in that last post.
Everything.
I combined 2 recipes, peach cobbler from vegan with a vengeance, and peach crumble from the kind diet. The filling in them is basically the same, but the toppings are different. As you know, the VwaV topping is a dough, and I sprinkled graham cracker crumbs on it. But TKD topping is a crunchy, clumpy, sweet, fat filled granola. But its not really granola. It's because it has flour. But I think that may be the secret to making granola clumpy. Let me tell you, I worked on making granola last night...
the birds enjoyed it. That's all I'm gonna say. Check out those clumps.

But I have a dilemma. This is the peach cobbler/crumble I'm making for SELMA, and I do want the peaches to shine through, instead of just ooey gooey dough and amazingly crunchy granola smothering something that once resembled fresh fruit. So I think I may do the filling in the VwaV version, and the topping from TKD, instead of both the dough and granola. But what I did today was take my 2nd batch of peach cobbler (with a very crumbly, cereal like granola that I made yesterday and sprinkled a top) was take TKD peach crumble topping and put that on top of the peach cobbler from yesterday. It's super yummy, but the poor little peaches are barely identifiable.
So for a final product, I'll be baking the peach filling from VwaV, with the granola topping from TKD.
Why, may you ask that I'm not doing the normal recipe from TKD?
A few reasons.
1. I really like the taste of the VwaV peach filling, and don't fix what isn't broken.
2. TKD version uses apple juice...which isnt seasonal, and SELMA is all about seasonal stuff.
3. It calls for Kuzu root starch, which is like a thickener. Its probably over $6 at whole foods, I'm fine with my little box of cornstarch. (Thank you Isa from VwaV!!)
4. I don't want to hurt VwaV peach cobbler's feelings. So I'm having them share.

That was a way for me to figure out what the heck I'm going to do for SELMA, and this peach cobbler/crumble business. If you haven't noticed already. Just a way to vent, people.

I'll give you the recipe for the amazing granola topping, but I wont give you a final dish recipe that I'm doing for SELMA quite yet, because that still needs to be tested. This is amazing to snack on, or have as cereal, since it has hugh jass clumps. (I did tweak this recipe a smidge)

2 1/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup instant oats
2 cups mixed flours, like brown rice, spelt, and all purpose
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup canola/veg. oil
3/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup (I dont have any now, so I blended 1/4 cup brown sugar with a bit of water to form a syrup)
Scant 1 cup slivered, toasted almonds

Preheat oven to 350'F.
Dry roast the oats, flours, cinnamon, and salt over medium/low heat in a large skillet for 5 minutes, or until fragrant. Heat the oil and syrups in a seperate saucepan, and pour that over the dry mixture. Mix well in a bowl, then stir in the almonds.
Pour the topping into a rectangle baking dish, lightly greased. It's okay if the granola touches, or stacks. You can mix it around as it is baking if needed.
Bake for 15 minutes, then stir with a wooden spoon and get the granola from the bottom of the pan to the top.
Bake another 15 minutes, and repeat.
Bake another 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden browned. YUM! You must let this cool, or the clumps will die. Occupy yourself with facebook, or blogging perhaps.
When it's cooled, store in a tupperware. This was when I put it on top of the already baked peach cobbler.
On top of the ooey, gooey dough and poor smothered peaches.
The clump size in comparrison to my phone.


OTHER EATS:

Sauteed green beans with mushrooms from Vegan with a vengeance (We got a boatload of green beans from my sisters garden. Literaly, an entire macy's bag filled.)
1 T olive oil
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp oregano
4 tsp. salt
a few dashes black pepper
1/2 cup veg. broth/water
1/2 cup white cooking wine
2 1/2 cups green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
In a large non stick pan over medium heat saute the garlic in olive oil for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, oregano, salt, and pepper, and saute untl the mushrooms begin to release moisture, about 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and turn the heat up a bit, bringing to a low boil. Simmer for about a minute.
Add the white wine and green beans-cover for 2 minutes and simmer. Uncover and cook for about 3 more minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. YUM!!!
And now, I am munching on some homemade soy yogurt from chocolate covered Katie's blog, with berries, banana soft serve, and a tsp of granola. Yum!! Also sipping some zevia natural diet soda, and 1/2 a carrot.
I'll be back soon for a FINAL peach cobbler/crisp/crunch/thingy. See ya!!

7 comments:

  1. i love the big chunks in granola! the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too...I have always felt like you can only get that store bought

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...... chunky granola is soooo much better. Like Go Lean Crunch.... way more delicious than Go lean.....
    I made granola one time, but I just followed someone elses recipe. It was good, but I didn't make it my own. There was too much of some things that I don't like as much, and not enough of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried golean crunch! It sounds good. When you made granola was it like cereal-ish or clumpy? I really am obsessed with clumps. Oh jeezo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your granola looks AMAZING!!! I love making my own but I have always been sad that I couldn't get the big clumps. I will definitely try out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!! I'm excited to make another batch...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That granola looks so GOOD! Im going to try it asap!!

    Dana xo
    http://happinessiswithin.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete