Friday, May 21, 2010

Chocolate Oatmeal scones


I don't think these should be considered a breakfasty item. So rich, chocolaty, it would be a sin to have this for breakfast. Not necessarily a bad thing-but you know...

I baked these babies for a neighbor, just happening to keep 1 or 2 or 3 for myself! It's OK-I gave her a FULL shoebox.

I'm using my mom's camera for this post, only 1 picture :( pout. But I don't think getting a new camera is in the picture. Which is very depressing.

I used the basic scone recipe, (from VWAV) and put a lil' twist on it. I did the chocolate chip variation, but added some cocoa powder and drizzled melted chips on top of the scones. I added 3/4 cup of oat flour (pulsed oats ground to a powder) and 1/4 cup whole rolled oats along with the other 2 cups of all purpose flour. That's why I call them chocolate oatmeal scones! I think I'M the one who made it a dessert.


2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup oat flour (make rolled oats into a flour, using a blender/food processor) plus 1/4 cup rolled oats

2 T baking powder

1/4 cup sugar+2 Tbsp some more for sprinkling on tops of scones

1/4 tsp salt

1/3 cup canola/vegetable oil

1/2 cup soy cream (SHE IS SO VAGUE! I used silk COFFEE creamer, which was the only thing that resembled soy cream. I think it turned out pretty darn tasty.)

1/4 cup nut/soy/rice milk

2 tsp vinegar

2 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cup chocolate chips


Sauce to drizzle

1/2 cup nut/soy/rice milk

1 cup chocolate chips (you can play with this, it depends if you want the sauce to be runny or globby)


Preheat oven to 400'f. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, combined the flours, oats, salt, baking powder, and sugar.

In a smaller bowl, mix the 1/4 cup nut milk with 2 tsp vinegar. (apple cider vinegar works fine.) Let that sit for a minute. Then, add the soy cream, vanilla, and oil. Add this to the dry ingredients. Mix it together, allowing clumps, you don't want it to be sticky.

Drop scant 1/4 cup blobs of dough onto the cookie sheet, pressing them down a bit and forming them into triangular shapes. Sprinkle a bit of sugar on top, and bake for 12-15 minutes, take them out when they are a light golden brown around the edges and on the bottom.

When they are slightly cooled, melt the chocolate sauce in a double boiler and distribute the sauce however you want. Large blobs, light drizzles, or even dipping the scones in chocolate would work. Enjoy these super amazing scones!!

1 comment: