Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ginger Baked Tofu

I swear, this tofu is the best I have ever had. I used to have this "thing" about baked tofu, complaining that it was too soggy or something. It's from The Kind Diet, by the way, and it's her favorite tofu recipe. Now I know why. I had made it before, but was in a big hurry to get it done because a. I was hungry and b. it was like, 10 o'clock at night. So I can't say I put my full 'spirit' into that batch...But it worked for this! And it changed my perspectives on tofu. Fo-eva.

About 2-4 servings
1 lb firm tofu
1/3 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
1 Tbsp toasted or untoasted sesame oil
2 Tbsps minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
2 Tbsps umeboshi vinegar
1/2 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes (optional)
1 tspn brown rice syrup (optional)
Finely chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
Cut tofu in half width-wise, then slice in half again. You will be left with 4 tofu "steaks".Pour 3/4 cup of water into a bowl. Whisk in the shoyu, oil, ginger, garlic, vinegars, red-pepper flakes (if desired), and rice syrup and pour over the tofu, covering it. An 8"x6" dish works perfectly. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Either drain the baking dish of the majority of marinade, or place tofu on a baking sheet & baste with the marinade. Reserve the remaining marinade.Bake tofu for 15-20 mins. Turn the tofu pieces with a spatula, baste again with the marinade, bake for 10-15 mins longer. Garnish with scallions & serve warm.
I served this with a large dollop of tasty brown rice (SEE! I even garnished it!) And some green salad with roasted eggplant, using some of the marinade for a dressing on the salad. It works perfect! Enjoy this tofu to your hearts content-I'm telling you if you were ever skeptical about tofu (I WAS) try this and you will have an epiphany.

No comments:

Post a Comment