Friday, April 23, 2010

Finally Friday!

It was soo relieving to know it was Friday! Just knowing the weekend is in your grasp motivates you to get through school/work. Yay!
Since Trader Joes is on the way home on my walk, I stop there a lot to get treats for my nephew, quick things I need for dinner, or just samples! I wanted to try making granola bars so I got a few ingredients after school.


Organic oats, unsalted sunflower seeds, dried apricots, and a new item. Pumpkin butter. (like a jam, its not dairy. Calm down.)
I got home, blogged a little, and then got crackin' on my bars. I kinda made up the recipe as I went along (?) at least I learned what to do next. (And at least I made a small batch!) These bars were sooooooooooo delicious. You could taste every flavor, and the pumpkin I could have eaten so many of them! But they weren't exactly sticking together like proper granola bars should. They were crumbly-perfect for having on top of a smoothie, soy/nut milk, or oatmeal. But not exactly a munching bar. Unless you wanted it to be super messy!


1 cup rolled oats
About 1 more cup cereal of your choice (I used kamut puffs and ezekiel wheat free cereal)
Scant 1 cup nuts (I used sunflower seeds and walnuts)
1 cup dried fruit (Apricots and raisins for me)
2/3 cup maple syrup (I didn't use enough-so feel free to play around with this until it's the consistency good for "packing.")
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp wheat germ
1 tbsp flaxseed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp pumpkin butter
Mix the oatmeal, cereal, flaxseed, and wheatgerm in a bowl. Toast the nuts in a 300'f oven for about 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. Add the nuts to the cereal mix, add the dried fruit. Then add the maple syrup, pumpkin butter, vanilla, salt, and oil. Mix, and change if you think the texture/taste needs a lil' somethin somethin. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and LET COOL COMPLETELY before digging in/cutting.

For dinner, I was in a rush (no pictures:( ) I went to see Peter Pan, which was really good but very long! I didn't remember how much I loved that movie...
I was in the oat-spirit of things, (and in a rush...) So I made oatmeal (rolled, I'm shocked with myself!) with some thrown in ezekiel cereal, pumpkin butter, sunflower seed butter, cinnamon, and raw apples. I threw this in a thermos as I ate it in the car! I also brought steamed broccoli with a balsamic vinaigrette, and raw carrot sticks.
I do have to say I prefer steel cut oats for straight up eating, but I'm sure I just say that because I'm so used to having them. I have no problem with rolled, I think there's more freedom to do stuff with the consistency, plus they are done soo much faster so I can make them on school mornings without having to wake up early! YAY!
I'll post again tomorrow, not sure whats going on quite yet, so bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment