Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lazy Saturday

Today started early...7:00! I haven't been able to sleep in since like, summer! It frustrates me. I figured since my dad needed to leave and he was making breakfast for himself, I would start mine as well.

Big surprise! I made oatmeal. Plus 2 figs. The rolled oats, because my dad was about to sit down and I needed something quick. THE MIX:

Scant 1/2 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup almond milk

1/4 cup water

pinch salt

1 tbsp plus a lil' more pumpkin butter

pinch cinnamon

tsp ground flaxseed

topped with raisins. Sorry the picture is dark! I really need to get better at my food photography...any tips?

Later in the day, I went to the gym for a fast workout. 15ish minutes on the treadmill, some jumprope, situps, and random lift weights. Then my mom and I wandered around at the farmers market and got apples, and a big bag of fresh spinach. I then had a guitar lesson with my new teacher! It was a lot of fun.

My mom and I went out to lunch at Jerusalem Garden. (No pics:( )If I lived there, I think I would be the happiest person on the planet. All middle eastern-all the time. Just picture the excellence. I got the hummus (duh) with cucumbers, pita, and tomato. Then my vegetarian grape leaves came which were very very yummy! I just recently started liking grape leaves.

I cleaned a little at home, did some homework, explored blogs. Then around 4:30 I walked up to trader Joes because we desperately needed to go shopping. Its about 1.5 miles from my house. Here's the list: (I actually got a grocery cart this time!)

cubed butternut squash

yellow onions

carrots

sweet taters

whole grain Dijon mustard

2 zbars (1 for my niece, 1 for my nephew:)

Dried pineapple rings

Pita pillow puffs chips

(Dry) Brown rice

Quinoa

Steamed vacuum packed lentils

2 mangoes

2 bell peppers

1 very un-ripe avocado

I was very happy with my purchases! (And the prices!) The only thing I didn't find was sesame seeds. When I got home, I wanted to make Squash 'n' onions from The Kind Diet.

Serves 4

1 medium butternut squash (I used a bunch of chunks)

2 medium onions

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 tsp dry oregano

1/4 tsp fine sea salt

Wash and scrub the squash, (leave peel on) and cut it into 2" pieces. Peel the onions, halve lengthwise, and slice crosswise in 1/2" slices.

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions, saute until transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano and squash. Saute for another 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to the skillet and add the salt. Cover the pan, reduce to low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes. (Took longer for me.)

This was so good! I had it with my dinner along with salad, which had a yummy Dijon-balsamic-lemon dressing, along with and hummus and veggies. Very strange cursed hummus that I made and is just kind of weird. Its not going bad, it just doesn't smell like hummus. I used all normal ingredients!! Help?!

2 hours after dinner, I finished off with some amazing Indian tea from Teahaus, 1 or 2 dry pineapple slices and 2 squares of trader joe dark chocolate. Great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment