Monday, August 9, 2010

Reviews...and a BATH?!?

There are a few foods that I want to talk about, that I've bought recently. For as long as I've been a vegan, I've never really tried a vegan cheese. The other day at Hillers my dad came across this cheese. It's like a parmesan imitation, The Vegetarian Express. It's local, and made in Michigan, so I decided to give it a try.


The ingredients are pretty innocent: blanched almond meal, nutritional yeast, sea salt, dehydrated onion, and citric acid.



I personally like the taste! It does have a parmesan flavor, and my dad reccomended using it in pesto which sounded good. I was thinking of sauteing up an eggplant and some other veggies tonight, so I'll try it sprinkled on that. Overall, thumbs up on the parmesan stuff!

At whole foods, I thought of trying another kind of cheese. I had never tried a toffuti product in my life, which even I'm surprised at! I guess something that I think about is that I gave up dairy for ethical and health reasons, but I got used to not having it and I didn't really seek out the milk/cheese taste after a while. You may notice that I don't eat too much meat imitations, like tofurkey or fak-in, and I think it's because my body doesn't want that taste anymore. I feel like I don't really need it, I may have it only a few times a year! I would say the most veganized product I have is almond milk, and soymilk. Other than that, my foods are normal. I eat hummus, beans, bread products, veggies, fruit, and foods that anyone would eat. I just don't see the reason to immediatley replace the meat with a meat taste. That may be just me!!

But it's cool to experiment with different veganized versions of meat and dairy. I bought this toffuti cream cheese today, which wasn't too expensive. Thank you, Whole Foods!

The texture was very cream cheesey, and it spread well. I assume it would be a good cream cheese replacement in baking.

The taste was surprisingly good! Actual cream cheesey, and even though I havent had real cream cheese in over a year, I think it is very much like the real thing. I mixed a little with some TJ's pumpkin butter, and put it on a wasa cracker. I also tried it mixed with some local strawberry jam on a cracker. Yes, a bite made it into my mouth before the picture was taken! Oops!

Yumzo. This would also be good on toast or a bagel. :)

Gazpacho talk! I promised I would post about the gazpacho I made the other day. I based it on a recipe out of Fresh and Fast Vegan Pleasures, but changed 2 or 3 things. Mine was definetley a lot spicier, and I added a little bread crumbs beause I never got around to making the spicy paprika croutons. (Didn't want to turn on the oven!)




Spicy gazpacho soup
2 lbs ripe cherry tomatoes (I used an assortment from our garden-we had/have a ton!)
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 red chili pepper, finely diced
3 spring onions (I used 1/4 red onion and 1 shallot)
3 tbsp olive oil
scant 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
small handful arugula (I used parsley)
1 tsp sea salt
Put all the soup ingredients in the food processor, no need to seed the tomatoes!! Process to the desired consistency, Mine still had some chunks. You may heat the soup if you want like the recipe in the book says, but I have been having mine cooled.
This was great with some franks hot sauce, some more fresh cucumber, and black pepper. Perfect for a hot day, and super easy! Great way to use up tomatoes erupting in your garden.

Once a year, we give my cat, Bourbon, a bath. Since he's an outdoor cat, we figure it's good to because we don't know what he gets into out there! (Yuck...) Cats do naturally clean themselves, and he does a great job doing so. In the past years we've given Bourbon a bath outside with a hose, but every time he has broken free afterwards and gotten dirty outside. So this year I gave him a bath inside, in our bathroom! Just wet him down, with a little mild baby soap, rinsed, and dried! He was so upset during the bath, I bet the thoughts going through his head were "how could you betray me? You sick people!!!" But my mom and I tried to use quiet voices, and he actually didn't do too bad. He's currently stretched out on the upstairs couch, and is QUITE soft and pretty.

Like his white tummy? :D
I'm going to finish up reading more blogs, while I make myself chug this water sitting in front of me. See you guys later!! Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment